Availability: In Stock (29 packs)
Active Ingredient: Cephalexin
Manufacturer: Cipla Limited / Nicholas Piramal India Ltd.
Disease(s): Respiratory infections / ear infections.
Cephalexin is a cephalosporin antibiotic used in the treatment of respiratory infections and ear infections.
|Product name||Per Pill||Savings (only today)||Per Pack|
|30 pills||$1.39||$41.80||ADD TO CART|
|60 pills||$1.08||$19.06||$83.61 $64.55||ADD TO CART|
|90 pills||$0.97||$38.12||$125.41 $87.29||ADD TO CART|
|120 pills||$0.92||$57.19||$167.22 $110.03||ADD TO CART|
|180 pills||$0.86||$95.31||$250.82 $155.51||ADD TO CART|
|270 pills||$0.83||$152.50||$376.23 $223.73||ADD TO CART|
|360 pills||$0.81||$209.69||$501.65 $291.96||ADD TO CART|
|Product name||Per Pill||Savings (only today)||Per Pack|
|30 pills||$1.85||$55.45||ADD TO CART|
|60 pills||$1.37||$28.43||$110.90 $82.47||ADD TO CART|
|90 pills||$1.22||$56.86||$166.35 $109.49||ADD TO CART|
|120 pills||$1.14||$85.29||$221.80 $136.51||ADD TO CART|
|180 pills||$1.06||$142.15||$332.69 $190.54||ADD TO CART|
|270 pills||$1.01||$227.45||$499.05 $271.60||ADD TO CART|
|360 pills||$0.98||$312.74||$665.40 $352.66||ADD TO CART|
What is Cephalexin?
The drug Cephalexin is used for infectious and bacterial diseases. The drug is prescribed not only for adults, but also for children. The medicine is available in various forms, helps to cope with a large list of diseases. The drug has contraindications and side effects, so before use, you should read the annotation to the drug, and it is better to consult a doctor.
Composition and form of release
Cephalexin (Latin name — Cefalexin) refers to semisynthetic antibacterial agents. It can be found in the radar reference manual for the INN of the active component. The active substance of the drug is cephalexin. The 7-aminocephalosporanic acid derivative is 1st generation oral cephalosporin. Its structural formula is C16H17N3O4S.
The medicine has a wide spectrum of activity against microbes, it disrupts the synthesis of bacterial cell membranes. It should be noted the high resistance of the substance to penicillinases.
The drug is manufactured by Hemofarm A.D. (Hemofarm A. D.). Known forms of drug release:
- tablets with an active substance content of 250 mg and 500 mg;
- 250 mg and 500 mg capsules;
- powder 125 mg, 250 mg and 500 mg, from which a suspension is prepared for oral administration;
- granules of 250 mg, from which a suspension is also prepared.
The drug is characterized by high bioavailability and rapid absorption from the gastrointestinal tract. During a meal, the absorption of the agent slows down a little, but this does not have a significant effect on the total absorption of the active substance. The active component is destroyed by the action of cephalosporinase of gram-negative microorganisms.
The maximum therapeutic concentration of the antibiotic is achieved one hour after its administration and lasts for 5-6 hours. Cephalexin is not metabolized. The tool is evenly distributed in the tissues and body fluids. It passes poorly through the unchanged BBB, but penetrates well through the placenta. A small amount of substance is found in the amniotic fluid, part is excreted through breast milk.
The main amount of cephalexin is excreted unchanged in the urine, the rest with bile. If renal dysfunction is observed, then the glomerular filtration rate decreases, and the concentration of the drug in the plasma increases. The dosage of the drug for impaired renal function is calculated depending on the creatinine clearance.
Indications for use
Cephalexin accumulates in large quantities in the lungs, upper respiratory tract, liver, kidneys, heart, gall bladder, bone and articular tissue. Cephalexin in tablets and other forms is prescribed for the following diseases and conditions:
- inflammatory processes in the airways — bronchitis, pneumonia, bronchopneumonia, lung abscess, pleural empyema;
- ENT infections — pharyngitis, otitis media, tonsillitis, sinusitis;
- infectious diseases of the genitourinary system — prostatitis, cystitis, urethritis, vulvovaginitis, pyelonephritis, endometritis, epididymitis;
- complicated and uncomplicated gonorrhea;
- infection after childbirth;
- inflammatory processes in bone and articular tissue — osteomyelitis, septic arthritis;
- lymphadenitis and lymphangitis; purulent-inflammatory processes of the skin and subcutaneous fat — boils, abscesses, pyoderma.
The drug can be prescribed to patients before surgery. It is also often prescribed in the postoperative period to prevent complications. You can not prescribe a drug for yourself. First, you should undergo examinations, according to the results of which the doctor makes a diagnosis and selects the necessary treatment.
Dosage and method of use
In the instructions for use of Cephalexin 500 mg and 250 mg in different forms, all the necessary information is indicated. Tablets and capsules are taken orally half an hour before meals, washed down with water. Dosage is determined individually for each person. You should also consider some diseases and their severity, in which the drug should be used with great care. Dosage of medicine:
- Adults and children over 11 years: 1-2 caps. (or 250-500 mg) every 6 hours. The daily dose is 2-4 g. The course of therapy lasts 1-2 weeks.
- Children under 11 years: the medication is prescribed as a suspension for oral administration. If body weight is less than 40 kg, then 25-100 mg / kg should be drunk per day. The medicine is taken 4 times a day.
- In case of impaired renal function: dosage is determined in accordance with the value of QC. The tool is also used in 4 doses.
- With otitis media, the medication is taken at 75 mg / kg per day.
- With streptococcal pharyngitis and skin infections, the frequency of administration is twice a day.
- In severe stages of the course of the infectious disease, the daily dose is increased to 100 mg / kg and the drug is taken 6 times a day.
5 ml of suspension contain 250 mg of the active substance of the drug. It is prepared as follows: add water to the bottle until risks and shake well. The finished solution can be stored at room temperature for no more than two weeks. Before the next intake, the suspension must be shaken.
Before starting treatment with cephalexin, the patient must be tested to identify the causative agent of the infectious disease. You must also carefully study the instructions and follow the instructions of the doctor.
The drug is contraindicated in the following situations:
- renal failure;
- liver diseases, which are accompanied by a violation of the organ;
- severe allergic reactions to cephalosporins;
- individual intolerance to the drug.
The medication in the form of capsules and tablets should not be taken for children under 11 years of age. The drug is not prescribed for babies up to three years, but if necessary, the doctor can prescribe it in the form of a suspension for babies older than 6 months. Cephalexin is contraindicated in women during pregnancy and lactation. With extreme caution, the drug is prescribed for patients with chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and a history of pseudomembranous colitis.
Use of the drug during pregnancy and lactation
Cephalexin is not prescribed for pregnant women, since it easily passes through the placental barrier, and this provokes toxic damage to the internal organs and nervous system of the fetus. Since no one tested the effect of the drug capsules in the early stages of pregnancy, experts do not guarantee safety for the expectant mother and her baby.
A doctor may prescribe cephalexin to a woman during breastfeeding, but only if her benefit outweighs the possible risk to the baby. If a baby experiences adverse reactions, then treatment of his mother with this antibiotic is stopped or the woman stops breastfeeding. It must be remembered that this medicine can only be prescribed by a doctor. Women should not use the drug without consulting a specialist.
Hypersensitivity to the components that make up the drug can provoke the appearance of overdose symptoms. Often, therapy is accompanied by dermatitis, itching of the skin, urticaria, toxic epidermal necrolysis, as well as the development of angioedema and anaphylaxis. In addition, the following side effects may occur:
- Digestive system: heartburn, dryness or ulcers in the oral cavity, candidal stomatitis, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite, impaired liver function. Pancreatitis, colitis, Crohn’s disease, toxic hepatitis may develop.
- Circulatory system: a decrease in the number of leukocytes and platelet count, hemolytic anemia, neutropenia.
- Nervous system: dizziness, migraine, drowsiness, loss of orientation in space, apathy, weakness, impaired consciousness.
- Genitourinary system: impaired renal function, acute renal failure, interstitial nephritis, burning sensation during urination, genital itching, vaginitis.
- Musculoskeletal system: arthritis, arthralgia.
Before starting treatment, the doctor must make sure that the patient does not have an allergic reaction to cephalexin, since some people do not tolerate penicillin group antibiotics. Therapy should not be interrupted, even if the patient feels better, but the symptoms do not appear. Otherwise, the resistance of the pathogen to the drug may develop, and the disease will go into the chronic stage of the course.