Availability: In Stock (36 packs)
Manufacturer: Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd. / Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd.
Disease(s): Urinary tract / acne / gonorrhea / chlamydiosis, periodontitis, etc.
Doxycyline is a tetracycline antibiotic used to treat infections of urinary tract, acne, gonorrhea, chlamydiosis, periodontitis, etc.
|Product name||Per Pill||Savings (only today)||Per Pack|
|60 pills||$1.19||$35.80||ADD TO CART|
|90 pills||$0.71||$29.29||$71.59 $42.30||ADD TO CART|
|120 pills||$0.54||$58.58||$107.39 $48.81||ADD TO CART|
|180 pills||$0.38||$146.44||$214.78 $68.34||ADD TO CART|
|270 pills||$0.33||$234.30||$322.16 $87.86||ADD TO CART|
|360 pills||$0.30||$322.16||$429.55 $107.39||ADD TO CART|
|Product name||Per Pill||Savings (only today)||Per Pack|
|30 pills||$1.54||$46.28||ADD TO CART|
|60 pills||$1.00||$32.31||$92.56 $60.25||ADD TO CART|
|90 pills||$0.82||$64.63||$138.85 $74.22||ADD TO CART|
|120 pills||$0.73||$96.94||$185.13 $88.19||ADD TO CART|
|180 pills||$0.65||$161.57||$277.70 $116.13||ADD TO CART|
|270 pills||$0.59||$258.52||$416.56 $158.04||ADD TO CART|
|360 pills||$0.56||$355.46||$555.41 $199.95||ADD TO CART|
What is Doxycycline?
For the treatment of diseases caused by toxic bacteria, doxycycline is used, which is deposited in the bones of the skeleton and provides a long-lasting effect. The medication belongs to the group of antibiotics, therefore, it has a number of contraindications, restrictions on use and side effects.
According to the accepted medical classification, doxycycline belongs to antibacterial agents from the tetracycline group. It negatively affects the reproduction and vital activity of pathogenic bacteria. The active substance of the composition is doxycycline monohydrate, which quickly penetrates the cells of microorganisms and disrupts their basic metabolism.
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
The drug is a semi-synthetic tetracycline, a bacteriostatic antibiotic. It penetrates the cells and acts on the pathogens located there, inhibiting the synthesis of their proteins and disrupting the connection of transport enzymes. Gram-positive staphylococci, streptococci, clostridia, listeria and gram-negative Klebsiella are sensitive to Doxycycline. It kills E. coli, Shigella, Salmonella, Treponema and Chlamydia, the causative agent of syphilis.
The medication shows activity against plague, tularemia, anthrax bacteria, brucella, legionella, cholera vibrio, glanders and chlamydia pathogens. It is effective against bacteria of malaria, amoebic dysentery and trachoma, but Proteus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and fungi are resistant to the substance. Unlike other antibiotics, the medicine inhibits the intestinal microflora less, is absorbed fully and acts for a long time. Compared with tetracycline and oxytetracycline, the drug is more effective in terms of therapeutic result.
The medication has an almost 100% absorption, which is not affected by food intake. It dissolves in lipids and binds to calcium ions to a minimum. The substance reaches its maximum concentration in plasma after 2.5 hours, binds to proteins by 86.5%, and after 35 minutes it is found in organs and tissues. Its metabolism occurs in the liver, a drug with bile and urine is excreted in 20-32 hours, with repeated administration it can accumulate in bone tissue.
Indications for the use
The instruction of the drug Doxycycline includes information about the indications for its use. Among them are such diseases and complications:
- pharyngitis, acute and chronic bronchitis, tracheitis, pneumonia, bronchopneumonia, lung abscess, pleural empyema;
- otitis media, tonsillitis, sinusitis, other infections of the ENT organs;
- cystitis, pyelonephritis, urethritis, urogenital mycoplasmosis, prostatitis, urethrocystitis, endometritis, gonorrhea, endocervicitis, orchoepididymitis;
- cholecystitis, gastroenterocolitis, travelers diarrhea, cholangitis, bacterial dysentery;
- phlegmon, acne;
- malaria prophylaxis;
- syphilis, legionellosis, chlamydia, phrambesia, rickettsiosis, yersiniosis, Q fever and spotted Rocky Mountains, proctitis, typhoid (rash, recurrent, tick-borne), Lyme disease;
- tularemia, actinomycosis, cholera, malaria;
- leptospirosis, sepsis, erlichiosis, ornithosis, whooping cough, trachoma, brucellosis, peritonitis, psittacosis, osteomyelitis, endocarditis;
- exacerbation of chronic bronchitis on the background of bronchial asthma, bronchopulmonary infection with cystic fibrosis, chlamydial arthritis.
How to use doxycycline
When using the antibiotic Doxycycline, it is necessary to observe the exact dose of the drug. The daily dosage is taken once or twice every 12 hours. The drug in the form of capsules is used after meals, washed down with water. The entire period of treatment with a medicine requires abundant drinking. During the intake, it is undesirable to eat fresh fruits (according to reviews, they irritate the mucous membrane of the esophagus), dietary supplements. Capsules are swallowed upright.
For adults and children over 12 years old weighing more than 45 kg, the average daily dose is 200 mg on the first day (in two doses), then 100 mg / day. In case of chronic infectious diseases of the genitourinary system, 200 mg / day is prescribed daily. Gonorrhea treatment is reduced to the implementation of one of the proposed schemes:
- Acute uncomplicated urethritis: 500 mg of the drug in capsule form is taken in three doses (300 and two in 100 with an interval of six hours) or 100 mg / day for women; 100 mg twice / day for 7 days for men.
- Complicated forms of infections: 800-900 mg in 6-7 doses (300 and the rest — 100 with an interval of six hours).
Syphilis therapy involves taking 300 mg / day for 10 days, the treatment of chlamydia requires 100 mg twice / day for 1 week. Male genital infections are treated with 100 mg twice / day for 28 days. In the treatment of malaria, 200 mg / day is prescribed for a week, for the prevention of the disease, 100 mg once / day is taken a couple of days before the trip, every day during the trip and a month after returning. For the prevention of infections after abortion, 100 mg is taken before the procedure and 200 — half an hour after. Acne is treated with 100 mg / day for a course of 1.5-3 months.
With a cold
If colds are caused not by viruses, then the medication is used in a standard dose: on the first day — 200 mg once or 100 mg in two divided doses with an interval of 12 hours. The subsequent days of treatment require taking a medication of 100 mg / day. The course lasts 3-4 days, unless otherwise prescribed by a doctor. Only he can prescribe antibiotics, you can not prescribe the medicine yourself.
So that the use of the medication does not cause negative effects, precautions should be observed. Information about them will help to avoid undesirable consequences:
- The drug may interfere with staining of the tissue with a biopsy of the thyroid gland.
- According to reviews, the medication causes photosensitivity, so you need to limit the time spent in the sun during therapy and for 4-5 days after its completion.
- Prolonged use of the drug involves periodic monitoring of the functions of kidney diseases.
- To restore intestinal microflora, hepatoprotective drugs are required.
- When treated with the drug, the tooth enamel may become dark brown.
Doxycycline during pregnancy
The active substance of the drug penetrates the placenta into the fetus, which leads to pathologies of tooth development, inhibition of bone growth, the skeleton of the child and fatty liver. Doctors prohibit the use of this antibiotic in any trimester of pregnancy. The substance passes into breast milk, therefore it is not used for lactation. For the treatment period, it is worth abandoning breastfeeding so as not to cause pathologies in the newborn.
Taking pills is contraindicated for children under 12 years old and weighing up to 45 kg, which is associated with their negative impact on the state of the digestive tract and teeth. The infusion solution can be used according to indications for children older than eight years under the strict supervision of a doctor. The dosage for the child depends on body weight, and after 12 years is equal to the adult dose, and does not need correction.
Ethanol, alcohol-containing drinks and medicines lower the concentration of Doxycycline in the blood. Combining these drugs is not recommended, because they lead to severe violations of the liver, poisoning and overdose. As a result, respiratory depression, vomiting, nausea, and weakening of the body may develop. After the end of antibiotic treatment, it is required to abstain from alcohol for a couple of days.
Doxycycline should not be used in groups of patients with some contraindications. These include the following factors:
- hypersensitivity to the components of the composition, other tetracycline antibiotics;
- lactase deficiency;
- lactose intolerance, glucose-galactose malabsorption;
- severe liver failure;
- children’s age up to 12 years for capsules and up to 8 years for solution, body weight less than 45 kg.
Taking doxycycline can lead to undesirable side effects. Patients talk about the following negative conditions:
- dizziness, loss of balance;
- vomiting, nausea, anorexia, ringing in the ears;
- loss of clarity of vision, diplopia;
- gastritis, stomach ulcer, colitis, enterocolitis;
- skin rash, itching, allergic reactions, hyperemia;
- erythema, dermatitis, urticaria;
- pericarditis, decreased pressure, tachycardia, anemia;
- hepatitis, cholestasis, arthralgia, myalgia, photosensitivity;
- superinfection, inflammation of the anogenital zone, candidiasis;
- dysbiosis, necrolysis.