Availability: In Stock (36 packs)
Active Ingredient: Metronidazole
Manufacturer: Piramal Enterprise Ltd. / Vikram Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd.
Disease(s): Infections of the vagina / stomach / skin / joints and respiratory tract.
Flagyl is an antibiotic. It is used to treat bacterial infections of the vagina, stomach, skin, joints and respiratory tract. This medication will not treat a vaginal yeast infection.
|Product name||Per Pill||Savings (only today)||Per Pack|
|60 pills||$0.64||$38.48||ADD TO CART|
|90 pills||$0.54||$9.00||$57.71 $48.71||ADD TO CART|
|120 pills||$0.49||$18.01||$76.95 $58.94||ADD TO CART|
|180 pills||$0.44||$36.01||$115.42 $79.41||ADD TO CART|
|270 pills||$0.41||$63.02||$173.14 $110.12||ADD TO CART|
|360 pills||$0.39||$90.03||$230.85 $140.82||ADD TO CART|
|Product name||Per Pill||Savings (only today)||Per Pack|
|60 pills||$0.66||$39.67||ADD TO CART|
|90 pills||$0.56||$9.05||$59.51 $50.46||ADD TO CART|
|120 pills||$0.51||$18.09||$79.34 $61.25||ADD TO CART|
|180 pills||$0.46||$36.18||$119.02 $82.84||ADD TO CART|
|270 pills||$0.43||$63.32||$178.53 $115.21||ADD TO CART|
|360 pills||$0.41||$90.45||$238.03 $147.58||ADD TO CART|
What is Flagyl?
In diseases caused by protozoa or bacteria, special drugs are prescribed that suppress the vital activity of pathogens. One of the common medicines of this group is Flagyl. It has antiprotozoal and antibacterial effects, helps the body cope with pathogenic microflora. Familiarize yourself with the principles of action, indications for the use of the product.
The drug Flagyl is produced by the French pharmaceutical company Haupt Pharma Livron. The active substance of the composition is metronidazole, which is known for its antibacterial effect. Due to this component, the drug can be applied topically or systemically against various pathogenic bacteria and protozoa. The drug is not an antibiotic.
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
The active substance of the composition of the drug refers to 5-nitroimidazoles. The mechanism of action of Flagyl is the biochemical restoration of the 5-nitro group of intracellular proteins of microorganisms. After that, the reduced component interacts with the DNA of bacteria and protozoa, inhibits the synthesis of nucleic acids and leads to the death of pathogenic microflora.
The main metabolite, 2-oxymetronidazole, also has antiprotozoal and antimicrobial activity. It manifests itself in relation to trichomonads, giardia, bacteroids, fusobacteria, clostridia, peptococcus, amoeba, eubacteria, peptostreptococcus. Optional anaerobes and aerobic microbes are resistant to metronidazole. After oral administration, tablets are rapidly absorbed, regardless of food intake, have 100% bioavailability. The half-life of the active component is 9 hours, the connection with proteins is 15%.
The drug is found in the lungs, kidneys, liver, bile, saliva, vaginal secretions, cerebrospinal and seminal fluids, and skin. Metronidazole passes into breast milk and through the placental barrier. The metabolism of the component occurs by hydroxylation, oxidation and glucuronidation. Metronidazole is excreted by the kidneys. The drug, administered vaginally, is absorbed by about 20%, reaches a 12% plasma concentration. It binds to proteins by 20%, the elimination half-life by kidneys is 8-10 hours.
Indications for the use
The use of suppositories is indicated for local treatment of nonspecific and trichomonas vaginitis, for the prevention of infection during surgical interventions in the pelvic organs or abdominal cavity. Indications for use of tablets:
- extraintestinal and intestinal amoebiasis;
- amoebic liver abscess;
- amoebic dysentery;
- cutaneous leishmaniasis;
- Trichomonas vaginitis or urethritis;
- bacteroid infections of bones and joints, central nervous system;
- brain abscess
- bacterial endocarditis;
- lung abscess;
- endometritis, vaginal fornix infections, ovarian abscess, fallopian tubes;
- pseudomembranous colitis arising from the use of antibiotics;
- gastritis or ulcer of the duodenum caused by Helicobacter pylori (Helicobacter pylori strain);
- prevention of infection during interventions on the colon, pararectal region, appendectomy, during gynecological operations.
Methods of use and dosage
Flagyl vaginal suppositories are used for local treatment of bacterial diseases and are used by women. Tablets are indicated for oral administration, they successfully treat many diseases of the internal organs in men and women. The type of release form of the drug affects the method of use, dosage, frequency of administration and course. They are described in detail in the instructions.
The drug in the form of tablets is taken orally, washed down with water, has no attachment to food intake. Giardiasis is treated for five days: adults are prescribed 750-1000 mg / day, children 6-10 years old — 375 mg / day, children 10-15 years old — 500 mg / day. For children under 6 years of age, the drug is best used in the form of a suspension. With trichomonas vaginitis or urethritis, a single use of 2 g of tablets or course treatment for 10 days is indicated — 1 tablet twice / day.
With amoebiasis, a seven-day course of treatment with Flagyl at a dosage of 1.5 g / day in three doses is prescribed. With urethritis in men, a single use of tablets at a dose of 2 g or course therapy lasting 10 days for 1 pc is indicated. twice / day. For non-specific vaginitis, 500 mg of metronidazole is prescribed twice / day for 7 days. To eliminate anaerobic infections, 1-1.5 g of tablets per day are indicated. If the patient has impaired renal function, the daily dose of the drug is halved.
During the treatment with Flagyil, it is forbidden to take alcohol or medicines containing ethanol. This is due to the possible occurrence of disulfiram-like reactions, manifested by fever, tachycardia, and vomiting. Other specific instructions for taking tablets and suppositories:
- Long-term treatment with the drug is possible only under close monitoring of the blood picture. If leukopenia develops, the duration of therapy depends on the risk of infection.
- During the treatment of vaginitis and urethritis, one should refrain from sexual activity, both partners should be treated. Menstruation is not a reason for canceling therapy. After treatment, you need to conduct control samples for 3 cycles before and after menstruation.
- If the symptoms of giardiasis persist after therapy, then a stool analysis is performed for 3-4 weeks. The study is repeated three times at intervals of several days. Some patients report lactose intolerance caused by invasion after treatment.
- Therapy is canceled if the neurological status worsens, hallucinations, ataxia, and dizziness develop.
- If during treatment it is required to conduct a Nelson test, then you need to be prepared for possible false-positive results, since metronidazole immobilizes treponema.
- Taking pills can cause dizziness and other side effects, so you should refrain from driving dangerous machinery and the car.
- Metronidazole crosses the placenta, so the use of the drug during pregnancy is contraindicated. Similarly, the ban applies to the use of tablets and suppositories during breastfeeding, because the active component is found in breast milk, can enter the body of the baby and cause permanent serious damage.
An antiprotozoal drug is prescribed with caution in patients with impaired renal function. Contraindications to its administration are:
- organic lesions of the central nervous system;
- blood diseases, a history of leukopenia;
- liver failure;
- pregnancy, breastfeeding (lactation);
- children’s age up to 6 years for tablets and up to 18 years for candles;
- hypersensitivity to the components of the composition or imidazoles, allergies to the constituent ingredients of the drug, individual intolerance.
Taking pills and using Flagyl suppositories can cause side effects. The most common include:
- nausea, metallic taste in the mouth, dry mouth, decreased appetite, constipation, diarrhea, glossitis, pancreatitis, stomatitis, epigastric pain, vomiting;
- headache, peripheral neuropathy, dizziness, hallucinations, impaired coordination of movements, weakness, confusion, ataxia, depression, convulsions, irritability, irritability;
- allergies, urticaria, skin rash, itching, hyperemia, nasal congestion, arthralgia, fever;
- dysuria, staining of urine in brown, polyuria, candidiasis, cystitis, urinary incontinence;
- neutropenia, leukopenia, anorexia;
- flattening of a tooth;
- burning or irritation when using suppositories, rapid urination, vulvitis, thrush.